19.10.12

Tea reference from the "Great Expectations" of Charles Dickens

“Whatever her tone with me happened to be,” 
Pip reflects during one such meeting at a restaurant, 
“I could put no trust in it, and build no hope on it; 
and yet I went on against trust and against hope. 
Why repeat it a thousand times? So it always was.” 
He then rings the waiter, who brings 
“by degrees some fifty adjuncts to that refreshment, but of tea not a glimpse.” 
What finally appears is a “casket of precious appearance containing twigs. 
These I steeped in hot water, and so from the whole of these appliances
extracted one cup of I don’t know what, for Estella.” Pip: once an orphan, 
now a tea snob. It’s a remarkable transformation, and yet in the end, 
he’ll need much more than fancy tea to win the girl

1 comment:

  1. love tea, checkout my blog at
    http://www.definingwords.blogspot.com
    feel free to leave a comment

    ReplyDelete